Local Books is a new iPhone App which should be of interest to all book lovers. It’s powered by LibraryThing Local, the LibraryThing member-created database of 51,000 bookstores and libraries around the world.
Local Books is our contribution to keeping the book world interesting. Amazon and other online retailers are great. LibraryThing is great too. But book lovers can’t be happy in a world with fewer and fewer physical bookstores, and a rising threat to libraries. The more we know about this physical book world, the better we can foster it, and the better we can use websites like LibraryThing and Amazon to improve our world, not replace it.
This application is unique – as it draws on the power of a socially-connected and created resources. We have the chance to increase the value of the App too.
I’ve downloaded it – tested – and it works a treat!!
More details from the LibraryThing Blog:
How You Can Help. Even with 51,000 venues, not every bookstore and library is in LibraryThing. If you know of one that’s not in there, go ahead and add it. If you represent the bookstore or library in question, you can “claim” your venue page, and start using LibraryThing to connect to your customers or patrons. Even if they’re all there, most are still missing something—a photograph, a phone number, a good description, a Twitter handle. Events—especially indie bookstores and libraries—are a particular need. It’s a virtuous cycle. The better we can make the data, the more people will find the application useful, and the more people who will make it better
- Search for venues (bookstores and libraries) as well as events near your current location using the iPhone’s built-in location features.
- Search for venues and events at any location or by name.
- Venues can be sorted by distance, name, or type.
- Venues are color coded, following the maps on LibraryThing Local (colors correspond to the colors used on maps in LibraryThing Local).
- Each venue has a detail page with a map. Tap it to jump to the iPhone Maps application.
- Venues often sport a description, clickable website and phone number links, events, and a photo.
- You can favorite locations and events, and there’s a “Favorites” list where you can find them.(1)
Check it out on iTunes.
New Here? Want to never miss a post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get each post delivered right into browser or email. Thanks for visiting!